How to put your iPhone or iPad into recovery mode
- Turn Off your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad if it isn’t off already.
- Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side (iPhone 6 or later) or top (all other iPhones, iPods, and iPads) for 3 seconds.
- Swipe the slide to power off confirmation slider to the right.
- Press and hold down the Home button on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPhone.
- Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
- Release the Home button when you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
At this point iTunes should display an alert saying it’s detected an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad in recovery mode, and will let you restore your device.
Entering DFU Mode on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
- Turn off the device.
- Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
- Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
- After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.
Make sure the device screen is blank and no logos are present
Exiting DFU Mode on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Hold the Home and Power buttons until the Apple Logo appears.
Entering DFU Mode on Apple TV
- Plug the device into your computer using a microUSB cable.
- Force the device to reboot by holding down the “Menu” and “Down” buttons simultaneously for 6-7 seconds.
- Press “Menu” and “Play” simultaneously right after reboot, until a message pops up in iTunes, saying that it has detected an Apple TV in Recovery Mode.
Exiting DFU Mode on Apple TV
- Hold down the “Menu” and “Down” buttons. The Apple TV will reboot.